Hybrid WFR/WEMS Recertification Course
- Customer Reviews (0)
If you are struggling to find a course and have a current WMA certification, you may be eligible for one of the online extension courses (click link). WMA now has three courses (Part 1, Part 2, and Part3) that will extend a certification 6 months beyond the extension course completion date.
Description: The Hybrid WFR/WEMS course is designed for those that hold a current WFR certification from a reputable organization or a Wilderness Medical Associates International WEMS certification. This course is geared towards brushing off the cobwebs and refining skills. The e-learning portion reviews foundational concepts and provides an opportunity for individualized review based on pre-assessment scores. Students must register at least 2 weeks before the course date to ensure that there is enough time to complete the e-learning course work prior to the in-person session.
The course is divided up into two components:
- E-Learning - learners complete 8+ hours of required course work at their own pace in an asynchronous format. Learners may spend additional time (up to 40+ hours) completing optional recommended activities based on pre-assessment scores. Course work is due 3 days prior to the In-Person Learning session. Students have the option to attend virtual office hours by appointment. Technology requirements include:
- Computer that has the following:
- Internet Access
- PDF Reader
- Anti-Virus Software
- Internet Browser (latest version of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or Edge)
- Computer that has the following:
- In-Person Learning - learners participate in 2 consecutive days of in-person training (16+ Hours).
By signing up for this course you are confirming that you are at least 18 years old, that you have reviewed the Wilderness Medicine Program information page, have the time, discipline, and technological capability and access to complete the e-learning course work, and believe this course is the right fit for you!
Best Suited For:
- Disaster Relief Personnel and Volunteers
- Outdoor Educators
- Outdoor Guides
- Search and Rescue Personnel and Volunteers
- Anyone with the desire to develop skills beyond the Wilderness First Aid level
- The General Principles of Wilderness and Rescue Medicine with an emphasis on the prevention and identification of medical emergencies, appropriate technology, and risk management.
- Patient assessment and emergency care including CPR, basic Life support, and the emergency treatment of anaphylaxis and asthma.
- WMA International Wilderness Protocols including wound cleaning and exploration, spine injury assessment, dislocation reduction, CPR in the remote setting, and anaphylaxis and asthma.
- Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers CPR.
- Other topics based on class needs.
Duration: 8+ Hours E-Learning, 16+ Hours In-Person
The total number of hours spent on e-learning course work will depend on how often the learner has used their skills since their last course and to what degree. Students that have not used their skills often tend to spend well over 8 hours.
Minimum/Maximum # Participants: 6 minimum, 24 maximum
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Learn well in an asynchronous online learning format and in a fast paced on-site training environment.
- Must have a current certification from a reputable program that included an in-person skill proficiency verification as part of the certification guidelines.
Certification: Participants will earn certification in...
- "Wilderness First Responder/BLS for Healthcare Providers CPR" valid for 3 years (Wilderness Medical Associates)
- California State Epinephrine Auto-Injector Training Certificate valid for 2 years (Wilderness Medical Associates; eligible for state certification)
- 24 Hours of CAPCE CEU credit available
- Wilderness and Rescue Medicine: A Practical Guide for the Basic and Advanced Practitioner
- The Field Guide of Wilderness and Rescue Medicine
- Wilderness First Responder Class Notes
- SOAP Notebook
Renewing Certification: Recertification can be earned at anytime during the three years following your course. Options include the WFR, WFR Bridge, or the WFR / WEMS Open Recertification course.
Course Schedule: See schedule.